Top 10 Smallest Countries in The World
10. Grenada (344 km2)
An island nation in the Caribbean, Grenada is also known as “The Island of Spice." The world's largest producer of nutmeg and mace crops, this nation located northwest of Trinidad and Tobago and it was colonized by the French from 1649 to 1763. Cricket is the most popular sport on this island.
9. Malta (316 km2)
Malta is another island country located in the Mediterranean Sea. This small country has a population of over 450,000 inhabitants. Foreigners from all over the world come to Malta for its sunny weather, attractive beaches, and a still vibrant nightlife.
8. Maldives (300 km2)
A popular tourist destination in the Indian Ocean, the Maldives is the smallest country in Asia in terms of area and population. There are over 1,192 coral islands in the Maldives. The country was once the colony of many empires, the Portuguese, the Dutch, and the British, but became an independent country in 1965.
7. Saint Kitts and Nevis (216 km2)
These two islands in the Caribbean were some of the first islands to be occupied by Europeans. Its economy is dependent on tourism, agriculture, and small manufacturing industries. It used to be a major sugar exporter for centuries, but now the large plantations are converted into hotels and resorts.
6. Liechtenstein (160 km2)
This is the only nation in the world to be completely located in the Alps. Located between Switzerland and Austria, Liechtenstein is the richest country in the world, with the lowest unemployment rate (1.5%). Getting into the country is a little tricky since it has no airport. Visitors must go through Switzerland's Zurich Airport to reach this Alpine country.
5. San Marino (61 km2)
Surrounded completely by Italy, San Marino is also known as the Most Serene Republic of San Marino. Claiming to be the oldest surviving sovereign state, it is also one of the wealthiest in country. It has a population of only 30,000, boasting of one of the lowest unemployment rates in the world.
4. Tuvalu (26 km2)
Tuvalu is located in the Pacific Ocean, west of Australia. There are about 10,000 inhabitants, with 8km of roads, and only 1 hospital present on the main island. The country was once a British territory but became independent in 1978. A difficult place to get to, tourism is not very significant.
3. Nauru (21 km2)
An island nation located east of Australia, Nauru is the smallest island country in the world. It was known in the 1980's for a booming phosphate mining. The unemployment rate is 90% with the remaining 10% employed by the government. Nauru is also known as the country with the most obese people in the world. Because of this, Nauru is also home to the world's highest level of type 2 diabetes.
2. Monaco (2 km2)
Located on the French Riviera, Monaco is home to the largest number of millionaires and billionaires. Known for its gambling and luxury goods and services industry, Monaco is a favourite playground of the rich and famous. Bordered by France on 3 sides and one side by the Mediterranean Sea, the residents of Monaco are mostly French-speaking.
1. Vatican ( 0,44 km2)
The world's smallest country is the Vatican, also known as the Holy See. This country fits within the Italian capital city of Rome, and is the center of the Catholic Church.